Implant Dentures – Mesquite, TX
Enjoy a Strong and Reliable Smile
According to one estimate, about 23 million people are completely edentulous (missing all their teeth), while millions more are missing all of their upper or lower teeth. Many of those individuals choose to get traditional dentures, but old-fashioned prosthetics have some big drawbacks. Is there a better alternative? Yes! Many patients in Mesquite are candidates for implant dentures. Read this page to learn more, and then contact us when you are ready to schedule your tooth replacement consultation. Our team is ready to help you enjoy a strong and reliable smile!
What Are Implant Dentures?
Dental implants are small titanium cylinders, or posts, that get surgically placed in a patient’s jawbone. They form a bond with the surrounding tissue, after which they can serve as an extremely sturdy base for a crown, bridge, or denture.
There are a couple of different types of implant dentures. When you attend your consultation, we will carefully evaluate your situation and recommend the prosthetic that we believe would best fit your circumstances.
Fixed/Permanent Implant Dentures
Fixed implant dentures are permanently attached to the implants that support them; they can only be removed by a dental professional. Many patients gravitate toward this option because they like the idea of always having their teeth in their mouth. The downside to fixed implant dentures is that they often require a higher number of implant posts, meaning that they also require greater jawbone density.
Removable Implant Dentures
Removable implant dentures are sometimes called “Snap-On” dentures because they are easy for patients to remove on their own. They are held in place with the help of ball- or bar-shaped attachments. They usually require fewer implant posts and less bone density than fixed dentures.
The Implant Denture Procedure
The implant denture procedure has four main stages:
- During your initial consultation, our team will examine your mouth and plan the details of your treatment.
- You will undergo surgery, during which we will place your prosthetic tooth roots. Unlike other practices in our area, we can perform this procedure ourselves; you will not have to worry about being referred to someone else.
- Your implants will bond with your body via a biological process known as Thereafter, we may place small connector pieces, called abutments, on your implants.
- You will receive your beautiful new teeth!
Am I a Candidate for Implant Dentures?
You may be a good candidate for implant dentures if:
- You have lost all or most of your teeth throughout one of your dental arches.
- You are free of active gum disease and other oral/overall health conditions that might interfere with the success of your implants.
- Your jawbone is strong and healthy.
- You have good habits, such as a thorough oral hygiene routine, that will help your implants stand the test of time.
Most people who want implant dentures do qualify for them, either right away or after some preliminary treatments.
Benefits of Combining Dentures & Dental Implants
Implant dentures offer some remarkable benefits:
- Strength and stability. You can expect to be able to eat virtually any food, even tough and chewy items that would be difficult to consume with traditional dentures.
- A beautiful appearance. We carefully design implant dentures so they look and feel as natural as possible.
- Jawbone preservation. Dental implants preserve the jawbone and prevent the natural deterioration that occurs after tooth loss.
- Dental implants have the potential to last a lifetime. The dentures on top of them likewise have a long life expectancy.
- Easy maintenance. Caring for implant dentures does not require a lot of time or effort.